https://i0.wp.com/www.evoamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Evo-Turkey.jpg?fit=300%2C300&ssl=1 300 300 firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.evoamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Evo-square-logo-png-80x80.png email@example.com 23:26:052022-03-14 21:07:08Whole Roasted Turkey
Whole Roasted Turkey
Turkey is probably one of the most astonishing items to be cooked on an Evo!
- 1 turkey – 12-20 lbs.
- 1 lb. butter, melted
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper, fine ground
- 1/4 cup herbs de provence
- 2 tbsp. sweet paprika
- Regardless of which method you prepare the turkey, combine the salt, pepper, herbs and paprika and rub all over turkey. Allow to air dry and warm to room temperature.
- Spatchcocking, which involves cutting out the backbone, keel bone and rib cage, allows you to cook the turkey in a smaller enclosed cooking area. This would be a great method to cook the turkey under an Evo grill’s normal hood. Just be sure to place the bird on a large “Evo roasting rack” or cookie cooling rack to prevent contact with the cook surface and burning. [url href=”https://www.evoamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/How_To_Spatchcock_A_Turkey.pdf”]Download step-by-step instructions[/url].
- Another way to prepare a turkey on the Evo is roasting it whole, which is fairly easy. The hardest part is finding a “poultry roasting stand”, which is similar to an “up the bum, beer can chicken”. In its simplest form, you can use a #10 can with venting holes drilled in it.
- Once the turkey is basically standing up on said rack, simply turn the center burner on low-medium (350-375 deg.) and cover the turkey with a large stock pot, making sure the pot sets all the way down onto the cook surface. Allow the bird to roast for at least 30 minutes before checking, and then baste with melted butter every 30 minutes or so. A 20 lb. turkey will take approximately 3 hours to cook.