https://i0.wp.com/www.evoamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Evo-Grilled-Watermelon-and-Tomato-Salad.jpg?fit=300%2C300 300 300 firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.evoamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Evo-square-logo-png-80x80.png email@example.com 22:55:072015-05-13 22:56:23Grilled Watermelon and Tomato Salad
Grilled Watermelon and Tomato Salad
Serves: 4 Servings
What better way to enjoy a summer afternoon than with a lovely fresh salad paired with a crisp cold glass of wine.
- 4 slices 3/4inch thick watermelon
- 4 whole ripe heirloom tomatoes, mixed colors
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 8 small leaves fresh opal basil
- 8 small leaves fresh green basil
- 2 tablespoons feta or goat cheese
- pinch of Kosher salt
- pinch of fresh ground pepper
- as desired Maldon Sea Salt or Himalyan Cave Salt, to garnish
- Prepare your Evo grill outdoors or indoors for direct grilling over high heat.
- Using a 3-1/2 inch cookie cutter, cut the watermelon flesh out of the slices into four rounds. Place directly on the Evo cook surface. Grill on one side only, until seared, and the melon emits a slightly caramelized aroma, about 2 minutes. Transfer rounds, seared sides up, to a platter.
- Cut tomatoes into batons with an apple corer, or slice into wedges, cubes or slabs. Place the tomato batons, wedges or cubes in a large bowl and toss gently with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season to taste with kosher salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Place a watermelon round, seared side up, in the center of each of four appetizer plates. Top each with an equal portion of tomatoes. Drizzle each salad with remaining olive oil, and top each with 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of feta or goat cheese. Garnish with opal basil and green basil and a few grains of preferred salt, and serve.
Serve with flatbread or crostini. Pair with Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris or a dry Gewürztraminer.